There has been a lot of discussion and dispute about Trigger Points, and we will look at the different theories during the day and explore the controversy. We will work from a traditional standpoint; how to understand and treat referred pain and how to determine where the real problem area is – which is not always where your client reports feeling pain. Knowledge of trigger points and how to treat them will make your treatments much more effective and these methods can be incorporated into your normal massage treatments.
We will explore the probable causes of trigger points, what happens physiologically, and how to identify them. We will discuss various techniques used to treat trigger points, and you will learn and practice two release methods appropriate for massage therapists and which can be incorporated easily into your regular treatments.
During the day you will:
- Discuss the theory of trigger points: basic physiology, how they caused referred pain in predictable areas, how this knowledge will affect your treatment, and treatment methods.
- Use palpation to identify trigger points.
- Observe and practice massage techniques of stroking and compression to relieve trigger points.
- Review contraindications to massaging trigger points
- Discuss how clients may make changes in their habits to avoid creating muscle tension and trigger points
- Explore how to integrate trigger point massage into your own treatments.
You will receive an interactive workbook which includes pictures and room for your notes, giving you an ongoing reference from the day. You will receive a Certificate of Attendance at the end of the course.
Many Associations accept this course for CPD and many are self-certifying. It is the responsibility of the Student to check with their Association. If necessary, the course syllabus can be provided.
You don’t need to bring any equipment or materials for the course as everything you need will be provided. (There may be some ‘away’ dates that require equipment, which you will be told about in advance.) The majority of the sessions are practical and you should dress accordingly.
I loved the course. I learnt so much in such a short space of time, Nicki has a great teaching style and has given me confidence in adding the new skills from the course in my routine.
This course is suitable for:
Anyone with a massage, sports massage or sport therapy qualification. Other manual therapy body workers may be appropriate – please enquire.
Are you interested in this workshop but can’t make any of the planned dates or want to get information on hosting a workshop in your area?Click here