Muscle Energy Technique (MET) uses the body’s natural responses to effect change. Reciprocal Inhibition works with antagonistic muscles, so that when muscle is contracted the other relaxes. We can use this to help relax tight muscles, and it’s particularly useful with joint restrictions and mobility.
We will spend some time looking at the physiology and theory, as well as discussing classic theories that are now being challenged. You will learn when it is safe to work and how to use this versatile and powerful, yet gentle and painless, technique throughout the body. It is recommended that if MET is new to you, Soft Tissue Release is learned first, to facilitate understanding and practice.
During the day you will:
- Look at A&P regarding reciprocal inhibition and post isometric release. (Prior specific knowledge of this is not required.)
- Explore how using this knowledge can work in practice.
- Discuss the applications of the treatment
- Observe and then practice using the techniques. Understand how to confidently use the technique on all areas of the body
- Give and receive some massage and use MET; and share findings and feedback with other students
- Have ample opportunity for questions
- Learn how to incorporate MET into your treatments
You will receive an interactive workbook which includes pictures and room for your notes, giving you an ongoing reference from the day. You will receive a Certificate of Attendance at the end of the course.
Many Associations accept this course for CPD and many are self-certifying. It is the responsibility of the Student to check with their Association. If necessary, the course syllabus can be provided.
You don’t need to bring any equipment or materials for the course as everything you need will be provided. (There may be some ‘away’ dates that require equipment, which you will be told about in advance.) The majority of the sessions are practical and you should dress accordingly.
This course is suitable for:
It is recommended that if you don’t have prior knowledge of MET, that you have studied Soft Tissue Release or attended. This is suitable for anyone with a massage, sports massage or sport therapy qualification. Other manual therapy body workers may be appropriate – please enquire.
Are you interested in this workshop but can’t make any of the planned dates or want to get information on hosting a workshop in your area?Click here